Telework Policy and Contact Information
Please refer to the OHRM policy and the Departmental policy.
Each bureau in Commerce has a telework coordinator that can give you more information about telework in your organization.
Each employee must sign a telework application and agreement form and have it approved by his/her supervisor.
Forms available: safety checklist, the telework assessment tool, and complete the required training.
Recording Telework Hours
Either you or your timekeeper is responsible for recording all of your telework time, including regular or episodic, in the time and attendance system, webTA, to reflect when you telework and where you telework (at your home-based office or an alternative worksite).
- should consider the following factors in making an honest assessment about their telework capabilities:
Telework is voluntary, can be terminated at any time, by the employee or the supervisor, and should not be used as a “one size fits all” approach.
Mandatory Training Sessions on the basics of the Department’s Telework Program will help to ensure that you and your supervisor have an understanding of its requirements.
Additional training is currently under construction by the Office of Personnel Management and will be available to you shortly, so please check back.
• Ensure that the same performance standards, derived from a modern, effective, credible, and validated performance system, are used to evaluate both teleworkers and nonteleworkers;
• Establish guidelines to minimize adverse impact on nonteleworkers before employees begin to work at alternate work sites.
Benefits of Telework to our Mission
• Increase employee performance, efficiency, morale, and job satisfaction;
• Attract skilled workers with diversity from a wider geographic area; support EO 13548 and EO 13518;
• Retain and value employees;
• Attract talent, be regarded as “the best place to work” in the Federal government to compete in the 21st Century;
• Lower absentee rates and attrition;
• Expand “your reach” to your customers by extending the work day;
• Reduce the cost of office space and green house emissions and support Executive Order 13514;
• Improve standards of living and work/life balance to employees.
Benefits of Telework for Employees
• Be more productive without the interruptions of an office setting;
• Work from an alternative location;
• Gain increased flexibility in managing your time and schedule;
• Reduce the cost of daily commutes;
• Stay productive in times of poor weather, mass transit delays, and natural disasters;
• Enjoy a more rewarding and balanced work life, family life, and personal life.
Share your “Success Stories”